The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) is available to citizens of participating countries. The list of qualifying counties is available on the Department of State Program Website. The program enables foreign nationals to enter the United States without obtaining a Non-Immigrant or Visitor Visa and permits holders to conduct similar business and visitor activities outlined under the B-1 and B-2 visa. VWP travelers waive certain rights that visitors on other visas have. Individuals traveling on the VWP may not extend their visit and are not permitted to change their status while in the United States. Citizens from VWP countries may choose to enter on the Visa Waiver Program or apply for another visa; they are not required to utilize the VWP.
- Travel on a valid E-Passport or Machine Readable Passport from a qualifying country
- Pre-Flight Authorization from the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)
- Purpose of the trip is to enter the United States for permitted reason under the B-1 or B-2 Visa
- Will remain for a specific limited period of time
Length of Stay
The Visa Waiver Program permits a maximum stay of 90 days within the United States and is not extendable.
What We Do
- Provide guidance on the scope of activities permissible under the Visa Waiver Program
- Provide assistance in the ESTA Application form
Travel Purposes Not Permitted on Visa Waiver Program
- Study or attend a higher education for credit
- Work as a member of the media
- Permanent residence in the United States
Travel Without Visa
- The Visa Waiver Program
- Mexican and Canadian NAFTA Professional
- Citizens of Canada and Bermuda
Individual Advance Authorization from ESTA is required for all travelers, including spouses and children, prior to boarding any vessel bound for the United States.
Citizens of qualifying countries are not eligible to travel under the Visa Waiver Program if any of the following are applicable:
- Travel to Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 for anything other than diplomatic or military purposes
- Are nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan or Syria