H-1B Specialty Occupations and Fashion Models


The H-1B nonimmigrant classification is available to workers in specialty occupations, certain workers for the U.S. Department of Defense or services as a distinguished fashion model.

Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may seek admission under the H-4 nonimmigrant classification.

Eligibility Criteria

The job must meet one of the following criteria to qualify:

  • Bachelor’s or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum entry requirement for the position
  • The degree requirement for the job is common to the industry or the job is so complex or unique that it can be performed only by an individual with a degree
  • The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position
  • The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree

You must meet one of the following criteria to qualify for the job offer:

  • Have completed a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university required by the specific specialty occupation
  • Hold a foreign degree that is the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s or higher degree in the specialty occupation
  • Hold an unrestricted state license, registration, or certification which authorizes you to fully practice the specialty occupation and be engaged in that specialty in the state of intended employment
  • Have education, training, or progressively responsible experience in the specialty that is equivalent to the completion of such a degree, and have recognition of expertise in the specialty through progressively responsible positions directly related to the specialty.

For Fashion Models only:

  • The position must require a fashion model of prominence
  • Must have distinguished merit and responsibility

Length of Stay

The maximum initial stay on an H-1B visa is three years. Extensions may be requested but cannot exceed a period of six years. In certain circumstances, individuals who have pending or approved I-140 (Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) petition can extend their H-1B status beyond six years.

What We Do

  • Prepare a thorough H-1B Petition with evidences required
  • Review Petitions to identify potential concerns that may affect the outcome of the application
  • Provide guidance in maintaining the H-1B status, changing employer or Specialty Occupation
  • Provide assistance to H-1B holders within the United States that wish to extend their visa, apply for a Change of Status or Adjustment of Status
  • Assist with situations where the Immigration Service requests additional evidence (RFE)
  • Assist with filing PERM Applications for EB-2 or EB-3 permanent residence

Recommended Resources

Monthly Newsletter

Subscribe for updates and news on U.S. Immigration

    Start your Immigration Journey Today

    We have successfully assisted Businesses and Individuals identify their immigration requirements, determine eligibility, develop strategies, prepare applications and respond to USCIS Requests.

    We look forward to speaking with you!