Other Worker Speciality Categories


The U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act offers various opportunities for temporary employment authorization in specialty positions. While not as common as other status, it is essential to properly evaluate a foreign national’s status and credentials to identify a visa that best fits her or his unique situation.

We can help you discern whether one of these options is the best fit for your needs.

  • CNMI-Only Transitional Worker (CW-1): Allows employers in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands to apply for permission to employ foreign workers who are ineligible to work under other nonimmigrant worker categories.
  • Temporary Agricultural Workers (H-2A): Allows U.S. employers or U.S. agents who meet specific regulatory requirements to bring foreign nationals to the United States to fill temporary agricultural jobs.
  • Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers (H-2B): Allows U.S. employers or U.S. agents who meet specific regulatory requirements to bring foreign nationals to the United States to fill temporary non-agricultural jobs.
  • Trainee or Special Education Exchange Visitor (H-3): Allows foreign nationals to come to the United States to receive training in any field of endeavor, other than graduate medical education or training, that is not available in the foreign national’s home country; or to participate in a special education exchange visitor training program that provides practical training and experience in the education of children with physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.
  • Representatives of Foreign Media (I): Allows a representative of a foreign information media outlet (press, radio, film, etc.) to come to the United States to engage solely in this profession so long as she or he maintains a home office in a foreign country.
  • Cultural Exchange (Q): Allows a foreign national to enter the United States to participate in an international cultural exchange program. The Q nonimmigrant exchange program is for the purpose of providing practical training and employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of the foreign national’s home country with the United States. Only employers who administer cultural exchange programs are allowed to petition for Q nonimmigrants.
  • Temporary Religious Worker (R-1): Allows a foreign national to come to the United States temporarily to be employed as a minister or in another religious vocation or occupation at least part time by a qualifying religious organization.

How We Can Help

  • Provide assistance in determining the most suitable work visa
  • Completion of application with evidence required
  • Review of petition to identify potential concerns that may affect the outcome of the application
  • Provide guidance in maintaining the status
  • Provide assistance to nonimmigrant visa holders within the United States that wish to extend their visa, apply for a Change of Status or Adjustment of Status

Recommended Resources

Start your Immigration Journey Today

We have successfully assisted Businesses and Individuals identify their immigration requirements, determine eligibility, develop strategies, prepare applications and respond to USCIS Requests.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Monthly Newsletter

Subscribe for updates and news on U.S. Immigration